Monday, January 8, 2007

Liars, Quitters, Losers

OK, something going around college football has really started bugging me.

Why the F*CK would you sign a contract, telling your owner or AD you planned on sticking around and honoring it, if you didn’t MEAN a damn word of it?

Nick Saban and Bobby Petrino – you’re in my sights.

Nick – you denied and denied and denied and denied...
Bobby – you just signed, and the ink is barely dry, a contract in July to stay in the ‘Ville for TEN more years (dude, you could have won a national championship next season. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.)

I guess I can fault the University of Alabama and the Atlanta Falcons just about much as the two Liar, Quitter, Losers. It takes two to tango.

What kind of example are you setting for today’s athlete? I mean, when I played at Wake Forest (yes, now you know I’m bitter against Petrino ANYWAY), Bill Dooley didn’t jump ship or chase the almighty dollar. He helped recruit me, and I helped win the ’92 Poulan Weedeater Independence Bowl for his last collegiate victory. He left as the 10th winningest coach in college football history.

ImageWhat about Brian Brohm? What about Lou Groza award winner Arthur Carmody?

Carmody said this about Petrino’s mutiny. "I'm in shock right now. We're coming off a great Orange Bowl win and we were all thinking national championship. I didn't think this would happen. He said he enjoyed college football. He's a great coach and we're going to miss him."

Petrino said in July he wanted to prove to his new recruits he’d be there through their entire Cardinal career. All he did was prove he cared more about the Benjamins than he did the Brohms, the Carmodys or the Harry Douglases.

Saban followed the same path. He kept saying he was committed to Miami, committed to owner Wayne Huizenga, and did NOT want to accept Mal Moore and Alabama’s offer.

ImageDid he think if he denied it over and over again, we (the media) would go away and leave him alone to take it?

I’m an old school kind of guy, as the true OSG/Sports Smack followers can attest. You have nothing but your word. You have nothing but the respect you earn. Saban no longer has a word I can trust, and no longer has the respect of a truly winning coach in the NCAA or NFL.

Say what you mean and mean what you say. The only games you should be playing are between the hedges, not between our ears.

I’m not usually this deep, just deep in it...trust me.

--John V. Wood

No comments: