Monday, February 23, 2009

Kenseth Makes It 2 In A Row

((HT: ESPN/NASCAR Images/FOX))
John Buccigross has the highlights with appropriate color commentary from John Anderson...


Hey, kids, Matt Kenseth won again...

Kenseth took the lead from Jeff Gordon in the pits under caution with 38 laps to go in the 250-lap race and stayed ahead, pulling away over the last 20 laps. But it took a while for the winner to shake Gordon, who went also went winless last year and is desperate to get back to Victory Lane.

"I honestly thought that we were going to be too loose at the end and he was going to catch us," Kenseth said. "Especially [when] I couldn't get away from him that time he ran me down and got right on my bumper [on lap 231]."

But get away he did, beating Gordon's No. 24 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet to the finish line by 1.464 seconds -- most of the front straightaway. It is the first time a Cup driver has won the first two races of the season since Gordon did it in 1997 on the way to the second of his four championships.

The key to Kenseth's win Sunday was a near-perfect pit stop that put him in the lead on lap 213.

"It's such a great team," Kenseth said. "I just thank these guys [on the crew]. They gave me a great stop and got me in clean air and that's just a huge difference.

"Our car handled really good all day and we had excellent pit stops. About the fourth one from the end, I started complaining and then, all of a sudden, they started getting me three or four spots every stop."


Earlier in the race, Kenseth, who led a race-high 84 laps, got out ahead and Gordon caught and passed him on a long green-flag run. But, after the final restart on lap 216, Kenseth found a way to stay in front.

Both Kenseth and Gordon were much faster than the rest of the field at the end. They steadily pulled away from the pack. But Gordon was unable to get to Kenseth's rear bumper and get a real run on the No. 17 Roush Fenway Ford.

"I thought he was going to pass us again," Kenseth said. "Some people think I'm a pessimist, but I think I'm more of a realist. ... I don't even know what we changed. It wasn't easy, but we were able to hold them off."

No comments: