Monday, February 9, 2009

You Can Call Him A-Roid

Alex Rodriguez owned up. A-Rod, or A-Roid if you will, admitted to the 4-letter word that he took "performance enhancing drugs" for 3 years. His excuse, the pressure of being baseball's highest paid player.

"When I arrived in Texas in 2001, I felt an enormous amount of pressure. I felt like I had all the weight of the world on top of me and I needed to perform, and perform at a high level every day," Rodriquez said in an interview with ESPN that was broadcast Monday shortly after it was recorded.

"And I did take a banned substance and, you know, for that I'm very sorry and deeply regretful. And although it was the culture back then and Major League Baseball overall was very -- I just feel that -- You know, I'm just sorry. I'm sorry for that time. I'm sorry to fans. I'm sorry for my fans in Texas. It wasn't until then that I ever thought about substance of any kind, and since then I've proved to myself and to everyone that I don't need any of that."

In December 2000, Rodriquez signed a 10 year contract with the Texas Rangers worth $252 million. A-Rod hit 52, 57 and 47 home runs in his 3 years in the Ranger uniform.

"Back then it was a different culture. It was very loose. I was young. I was stupid," Rodriguez said. "I was naive, and I wanted to prove to everyone that, you know, I was worth, you know -- and being one of the greatest players of all time."

OK, I'm trying to comprehend how having $252 million in your bank account pressures you into filling your body up with drugs. Are you kidding me. That's got to be the lamest excuse as to why you would put a needle in your butt. I had to prove I'm worth it, please. Go buy a 3rd world country if you feel unworthy.

Baseball is now the one taking it up the poop shoot. A-Roid will be the whole topic of conversation as spring training is set begin. This is a huge set back for the game that can't shake the stink of steroids.

Makes you wonder who else is on that list for 2003.
Photo Courtesy: Jim McIsaac/Getty Images

No comments: