Thursday, July 23, 2009

Media Days Wrapup, Day 1


Well, we are here and for lack of a better way to put it; the "Preseason SEC Kickoff" is in full swing. It really is quite scary to think that there are close to 1,000 media members here though it probably isn't what you think.

Yes, there are a lot of TV cameras. Heck, there are 3 for pretty much every station in the state of Alabama. Yes, there are a lot of newspaper writers, a large room full of them. Yes, there are networks, each with there own seperate room; or in the case of the 4-letter word (ESPN), 3 rooms. And yes there are bloggers/internet folks. Not a lot of people like me, I am there for my day job and filing stories on my own time. No, there are internet writers everywhere. Everyone seems to be the "Website" of (insert school here) the team.

There are also the Sports talk radio folks. A full corridor of the hotel is devoted to them and much like the T.V rooms, coaches and players bounce from table to table, making there way every 5 mintues or so from one end of the corridor to the other.

The funny thing to me is watching the media interview the media. TV interviewing Radio, Radio interviewing Writers and everyone interviewing the bloggers. While I like the idea of the bloggers getting their props, I'm not really sure that any of them are really qualified to be "Experts", but hey...I guess it's all about being part of the "In" thing. Or in the case of the "Old Media" acting like you are being "Hip" by including those of us who are trying to tell stories on this here Internet thing.

No comments: