Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hawai'i Coach Doesn't Like Irish Dancing Skills


((HT: KGMB-TV))

University of Hawaii Warrior head football coach Greg McMackin ((pictured, thanks KHNL-TV)) used a gay slur three times during his news conference Thursday at the Western Athletic Conference football preview while recalling a story from last year's Hawaii Bowl against Notre Dame.

McMackin used the term first when discussing a team "dance" performed by the Irish during night-before-game festivities involving both teams.

In the game, Hawaii lost 49-21 to the Fighting Irish.

According to multiple media reports, McMackin asked reporters in attendance to "cover for me" after uttering the slur.

To hear the audio of his speech, click here.

He returned to the interview room after the session to apologize for using the phrase and again later for a formal statement.

"I would sincerely like to apologize for the inappropriate verbiage and words that I used," McMackin said. "I have nothing against the University of Notre Dame. I don't talk like that. I'm really ticked off at myself for saying that. I don't have any prejudices and it really makes me mad that I even said that. I'm disappointed in myself.

"What I was trying to do was be funny and it wasn't funny."

No comments: