Monday, April 20, 2009

Ovie Just Wanted To Piss Torts Off

From the Dan Steinberg creation- the DC Sports Bog- over at the Washington Post and Puck Daddy over at yahoo sports...


We have a little gamesmanship before game 3 of the Caps-Rangers series. And it stars none other than Alexander himself ((pictured, thanks Steinberg himself)).

"...all the media members buzzed quietly when Alex Ovechkin came out to watch the Rangers' morning skate. This, several veterans said, was slightly unusual. Then they buzzed again, when Ovechkin was tapped on the shoulder by a Caps' PR staffer and abruptly left.
Turns out Rangers boss John Tortorella((actually it turned out to be a Rangers official)) had apparently asked Ovechkin to vacate the bench. The Caps PR folks offered Ovie a seat in the stands instead.

He declined.
Playoff hockey is fun for all.
UPDATED: Tarik and I pretty much took care of asking the principals what they thought. I bit the bullet on Tortorella:
"Oh, God, I didn't even know," he said. "This is the first I've heard of it. Ask me a question about the game, not that [bleep]."
Tarik took care of Ovechkin:
"I just [wanted] Tortorella [to get ticked] off -- and he was," he said, explaining his motivation. "Because they afraid of me," he added, when asked why he was made to leave.
And last, Boudreau:
"I think it was more of a lack of knowing the rules, that's all," Boudreau said. "They asked him to leave; he left. He just went out there and he wants to be around the rink. I don't think he had a pen and paper, writing down line combinations or anything, but I can understand, I've gotten into the same arguments with different people when I want privacy in my practice, so I can understand what John was going through as well. As long as he's out there at 7 o'clock, we're fine."

Here's the Ovechkin presser
The answer comes at the 4:25 mark...
((HT: Caps365/NHL))


No comments: