Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tim Floyd Resigns From USC


((HT: NBCSports))

Tim Floyd has resigned as USC's men's basketball coach, according to a report in the Jackson Clarion-Ledger newspaper.

Floyd has been under fire since a report surfaced that he gave $1,000 to a man associated with former player O.J. Mayo. If true, the payment would be a major NCAA violation.

Floyd submitted a letter to USC athletic director Mike Garrett, obtained by the paper:

“As of 1 p.m. today, I am resigning as head basketball coach at the University of Southern California. I deeply appreciate the opportunity afforded me by the university, as well as the chance to know and work with some of the finest young men in college athletics. Unfortunately, I know longer feel I can offer the level of enthusiasm to my duties that is deserved by the university, my coaching staff, my players, their families, and the supporters of Southern Cal. I always promised my self and my family that if I ever felt I could no longer give my full enthusiasm to a job, that I should leave it to others who could. I intend to contact my coaching staff and my players in coming days and weeks to tell them how much each of them means to me. I wish the best to USC and to my successor.”

Floyd reportedly turned down an offer to be Arizona's coach earlier this spring. He led the Trojans to the NCAA tournament each of the last three seasons.

No comments: