Thursday, April 16, 2009

John Madden Is Calling It Quits

John Madden retired from coaching in 1979 in his early 40's and left a legacy with one of the highest winning percentages in NFL history and a win in Super Bowl XI.

His coaching career could be legendary but his post coaching career did become legendary.

John Madden moved on to become the gold standard of NFL analysts working with Pat Summerall and later Al Michaels.

Madden Thursday announced it was time to move on. NBC Sports Chairman Dick Ebersol announced that Madden has decided to retire from broadcasting.

Madden issued the following statement:

It’s time. I’m 73 years old. My 50th wedding anniversary is this fall. I have two great sons and their families and my five grandchildren are at an age now when they know when I’m home and, more importantly, when I’m not It’s been such a great ride… the NFL has been my life for more than 40 years, it has been my passion – it still is. I appreciate all of the people who are and were such an important part of the most enjoyable, most fun anyone could have… that great life with the teams, the players, the coaches, the owners, the League… my broadcasting partners Pat and Al… the production people and the fans …is still great… it’s still fun and that’s what it makes it hard and that’s why it took me a few months to make a decision.

I still love every part of it – the travel, the practices, the game film, the games, seeing old friends and meeting new people… but I know this is the right time."

Here's classic Summerall and Madden setting up the 1989 NFC Championship game between the Los Angeles Rams and the San Francisco 49ers. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Salman said...

Hey your Blog is nice.But you can make it much better through my advanced

tips for blogging.In My blog you can see many tips to become advanced

blogger.

Some of them are how to remove the nav bar,how to remove the "subscribe to

postsatom",how to remove newer-older posts option,how to add static pages

and many more.........
My blogs:www.tips4blogging.co.cc
www.tips2blog.co.cc
www.tip4tips.co.cc
www.sitepromote.co.cc

.............Happy advanced blogging..........