Monday, April 13, 2009

Lemaire Leaves Wild... Montreal Next...?



Sid Hartman of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune caught up with Minnesota Wild GM Doug Risebrough after Jacques Lemaire announced he was resigning his post as Head Coach. Risebrough was surprised with Lemaire's decision and the way it came about.

The team is scheduled to have a Monday afternoon presser to formally announce the deal and discuss their future head coach and franchise direction...

It should not have been a surprise to see Jacques Lemaire step down as Wild coach. He did it before in Montreal after the 1984-85 season, and after the 1997-98 season at New Jersey, when he led the Devils to the Stanley Cup in 1994-95.

But Wild president Doug Risebrough said he was surprised in the way Lemaire quit, telling the Wild beat writers after a season-ending victory in Columbus that he wasn't coming back next season.

Risebrough expected that he and Lemaire would wait a couple of weeks, then have a meeting as they have done after other seasons.

"I did not know Jacques was going to quit; he did not say anything to me," Risebrough said. "I had a feeling that he had made up his mind, as he said [Saturday] with the media.

"... We had had no discussions about this. We didn't talk about it, because Jacques is all about the team ... and doing the right thing, and it wouldn't be the right thing to talk about this stuff before. But the fact that he said he had made up his mind started me to think that he knows the right time.

"I've always said this, Jacques is not only the brightest hockey mind I've ever worked with, he's maybe one of the smartest individuals. And I knew he would know when the right time was going to be. And, I've just got to say, I am so appreciative of Jacques staying as long as he did. I think it was the right thing."


Risebrough said he hadn't been looking ahead to who would replace Lemaire.

"But I can tell you, I've got a great, great perspective on what coaching is, [and who] the next coach should be, because of Jacques Lemaire."

Following Saturday night's 6-3 victory over the Columbus Blue Jackets 6-3, the only coach the Wild has ever known confirmed he won't be back.

"There comes a time when you know it's the right time to go," Lemaire told reporters. "And I know this. I had a great time here. I had eight great years."

"I think it's time for the players to get a new coach and myself to look for other stuff," Lemaire told the newspaper on Saturday following a 6-3 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets. "I always said there'll be a time. There comes a time that you know it's the right time to go, and I know this."

"I don't know what I'm going to do. I want to stay in the game, but I don't know what I'm going to do."

When asked if he would remain with the Wild in another position, Lemaire said he did not believe that would happen.

Lemaire, a former player and coach with the Canadiens, was asked by the Star Tribune if he would be interested in coaching in Montreal again, he sidestepped the question.

"I won't start to mention any teams because I'm still under contract in a way," Lemaire told the newspaper. "But I'll be looking for a job. I don't know what type. But I'll be looking."
While Lemaire has a reputation of being one of the finest coaches in the National Hockey League, there have been rumblings of tension with players.

The team has reportedly been upset regarding road practices after traveling and lack of off days.

According to the Star Tribune the assistant coaches have been running most of the team's recent morning practice sessions and at one point last week a veteran player voiced his displeasure with the Lemaire in a team huddle.

No comments: