Saturday, June 13, 2009

Luis Castillo Didn't Use Two Hands

((HT: NYPOST/Mike Vaccaro))

"He was stricken, the loneliest man in the Mets' locker room, the loneliest man in New York City. Every few seconds, Luis Castillo's head would drop, and his shoul ders would sag. He pounded a closed fist against his head once, twice, 10 times.

If you listened closely enough, inside the funereal silence of the clubhouse shrouded with equal parts grief and disbelief, you could hear something else, too.

You could hear Luis Castillo crying.

"I feel bad . . . I feel bad . . . I feel . . . " Castillo had said a few moments earlier, dragging himself to his feet, trying to explain the inexplicable. "It's a routine fly ball. I grabbed at it and . . . "

He shook his head. You never saw a ballplayer look more . . . ruined.

"I tried . . . "

Here's the play in question that ended the Mets-Yankees game
((HT: MLB/YES Network))


And your postgame, thanks to our friends at the NYPost...

No comments: