Thursday, June 11, 2009

Mark Sanchez Is A Rich Man

Mark Sanchez and the New York Jets have a deal and it's a sweet one. Sanchez will be a Jet for 5 years with $28 million guaranteed. The deal is reportedly worth $50.5 million overall if certain incentives are reached. In other words if Sanchez leads the Jets to a Super Bowl title he gets a lot more money to bank. Sanchez's deal makes him the highest paid NY Jet in history.

"It means the world to me to put myself in a position like this and work hard enough to get here." Sanchez said of becoming the highest paid player in Jet history. "Obviously, I'm thankful to the Jets and the organization here, but this is just the beginning and that comes with a lot of responsibility just like being the quarterback here. I'll be working every day on and off the field to justify this contract and let the Jets know, like I said, that this is the first of many contracts."

Remember Sanchez has yet to take an snap in an NFL game. A move like this worked out handsomely for the Atlanta Falcons last year with Matt Ryan and Jet fans hope the same for their team. But this is the New York Jets and their fans have been through it all.

So no mindless day-to-day reports of the tedious contract negotiations or threats of a holdout to extract more green from Gang Green.

"It's a really special day for me and my family. This is great." Sanchez said
"First, it's one huge thing behind me. It's a big weight lifted off all our shoulders. They know that I'm all about football and that's all I have to focus on now. That's the best part. Secondly, it allows me to get involved in the community here and back home. That's great too. It's a really, really special day."

Any doubt that Sanchez will be the Jets starting quarterback opening day?

You can read all about it from the New York Post , New York Newsday and the New York Daily News.



Photo Courtesy: Patrick E. McCarthy/Newsday

No comments: