Monday, June 15, 2009

Meeks Staying In NBA Draft

((HT: WKYT-TV))

University of Kentucky All-American Jodie Meeks will forego his senior season and keep his name in this year’s NBA Draft.

Meeks, a 6-4 guard, will be the first Wildcat underclassmen since Randolph Morris and Rajon Rondo in 2006 to enter the NBA Draft.

He led the SEC and ranked eighth in the country in scoring, averaging 23.7 points per game. He set the school record for points in a game (54 at Tennessee) and three-pointers in a season (117), while also shooting an SEC best 90.2 percent from the free throw line. Starting all 36 games this season, Meeks led the SEC in two other offensive categories including three-point field goal percentage (40.6) and three-point field goals per game (3.25).

“I want to thank the fans and the city of Lexington. They have been great and I will always be a Kentucky Wildcat,” said Meeks. “I feel comfortable with my decision and I’m confident in my ability. My family and I talked over the weekend and decided this was the best decision.”

A Second-Team All-American, Meeks had the top three scoring games nationally in regulation (54, 46, 45 points). He became the first player in SEC history to win SEC Player of the Week honors four times in a single-season.

The 2009 NBA Draft will take place on June 25.

Here's Dave Baker with the latest, thanks to our friends at WKYT...

No comments: