Friday, June 12, 2009

Milton Bradley's Bad Day


Okay...

You're a $30-million dollar outfielder prone to bouts of anger, confrontation, and general moodiness...

You're off to a slow start and not endearing yourself to some of the world's most devoted baseball fans...

Then, it goes horribly wrong all in one inning...

He loses Jason Kubel 's pop-up in the sun for a single, couldn't catch Michael Cuddyer's RBI bloop double, made a baserunning blunder and, most egregiously, flipped the ball into the stands after catching Mauer's one-out sac fly.

''That's life,''
Bradley said. ''These people have high expectations. I have high expectations for myself. I never made a mistake like that (losing track of the outs) in my life. Sue me.''

With Nick Punto on third, Brendan Harris on first, Bradley caught Mauer's fly, posed for several seconds and threw the baseball into the seats. As Punto scored easily to make it 6-3, Harris was awarded third base on Bradley's error as boos rained down from every section of the ballpark.

''It didn't cost us a run but you've got to be in the game, you've got to know how many outs there are,''
Cubs manager Lou Piniella said. ''Do we need to go over math? One ... two ... three ... I don't know what else to say. I'm sure he's somewhat embarrassed by it.''
Then again, maybe not.

''I wasn't embarrassed,'' Bradley said. ''I've done a whole lot of (other) things to be embarrassed about. The run was going to score and a fan got a souvenir. I just made a mistake. I guess I'll be in the bloopers.''

Yup... here's your blooper...
((HT: MLB/WGNAmerica))

No comments: