Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Dirty Dozen vs. The BCS

Hey, thanks everybody,we are back for another week of College Football fun, though last week was pretty entertaining as well, hopefully this one will be more entertaining..er...or whatever the plural of that is.

We had the first of the oft debated BCS Polls come out and strangely they kind of didn't totally agree with the "Voters" polls...but that is a story for another column on another day...besides, nobody wants to hear me get on my horse again about that whole thing.

So...back to the task at hand. We have a lot to go through here, so let's get started with our weekly clip, though we know our participants...let's see the Major meeting his recruits....Thanks YouTube:



And so now...IT'S ON WITH THE COUNTDOWN! (Thanks Casey)

The Dirty Dozen:

1) Florida 6-0 (I know that a lot of people moved Alabama ahead of them, but I can't. You have to earn it in our poll. Yeah, they struggled with Arkansas, but the Petrino's are a pretty good team. I know they rely on the Tebow too much...but "To be the Man, you've gotta beat the Man" and that ain't happened yet. This Week: Florida 21, Miss. St. 12)
2) Alabama 7-0
(Yes, they are good...scary good. The stage is being set for a game of the century in the SEC Championship game which would be a downer because I'd have to vote for mutual destruction...but I digress. This Week: Alabama 31, Tennessee 12)
3) Texas 6-0
(They took care of Oklahoma and should get respect for that...but they didn't. They aren't always pretty, but they win and that should count for something. This Week: Texas 34, Missouri 23)
4) Boise State 6-0
(They get to stay until proven otherwise. Brother Jon says they still have to survive a trip to Hawaii, I say I wish that I had that problem. This Week: Boise St. 38, Hawaii 21)
5) Cincinnati 6-0
(It's amazing how Brian Kelly just keeps plugging in players and winning. I'm telling you...I live here now...these guys are legit. They won't get to the BCS title game because they aren't in the SEC, Big 12 or Pac10...sadly. This Week: Cincinnati 31, Louisville 21)
6) Iowa 7-0
(Am I the only one still waiting for other shoe to drop with these guys? They are just like Cal...who always loses late in the year. They are solid, but not great. The best of a really BAD not-so Big 10. UPSET SPECIAL!! This Week: Michigan St. 21, Iowa 20)
7) TCU 6-0
(Again, they are undefeated so they get priority over the 1-loss teams. They are pretty good, but we will soon find out if they are really good. This Week: BYU 27, TCU 21)
8) USC 5-1
(They held on to beat Notre Dame last week...thankfully. Another team that I'm not sold on, but they are USC so they will always get love with the pollsters no matter how they play. This Week: USC 24, Oregon St. 21)
9) Miami 5-1
(Weren't they here a couple of weeks ago? They are pretty good...arguably the best of the ACC, which isn't saying much. Not much left on the schedule to slow them down either. This Week: Miami 34, Clemson 31)
10) Oregon 5-1
(Yes, they have finally rebounded from the 1st game loss to Boise. They have been playing good football in some ugly-ass uniforms. This Week: Oregon 27, Washington 21)
11) LSU 5-1
(They should be better. They have talent. On both sides of the ball. If the offense ever gets it, they will be a tough out. They sit behind Alabama who they play in a couple of weeks. This Week: LSU 30, Auburn 20)
12) Georgia Tech 6-1
(They've been here before too. Nice win vs. Va. Tech last week. They are a tough matchup for everyone and there are no major landmines here. They seem to finally understand that winning in the conference is as big or bigger than beating Georgia. Welcome to the 21st century guys. This Week: Ga. Tech 20, Virginia 17)

The Bottom of the Barrel:

5) Wash. State 1-5
(Wah..wah..wah. What else can I say about them? I've run out of material. They are like a bad waiter joke. They are here every week. I guess that is working OK for them, they don't seem to have a problem with it. This Week: Cal 48, Wash. St. 19)
4) Western Ky. 0-6
(We will let them climb the ladder this week since they played a close game against The Lovely Bride's alma mater in Louisiana. They still don't have much of a chance...against pretty much anyone. This Week: Middle Tenn. 38, WKY 10)
3) Bald State 0-7
(Whew! How many David Letterman's mistress jokes can we make here? What? This is a football story? Yeah, I know...I just wanted to tease that I might be going there...I'm not. This Week: Game of the Week!!! E. Michigan 10, Bald St. 9)
2) Rice Krispies 0-7
(Did you hear the story about the allegations against Snap? He was apparently trying to put some moves on Pop! Krackle just laughed about the whole thing. (Yeah, I know, I'm not a standup comedian). This Week: UCF 31, Pop 13)
1) New Mexico Locksley's 0-6
(Apparently not having Mike Locksley coach didn't make these guys any better. At least Locksley stayed out of legal trouble. Man, that whole program just sounds like a downer. I suppose there is always basketball. This Week: UNLV 31 Credits, Ron Mexico's 21)

Last Week: 10-4, Overall 65-23.
Maybe there is a job for me out there after all.

(I don't know why the font size is different when posting this...the site is wacky and won't let me fix it!!! Maybe I can get computer training while unemployed?)

No comments: