Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Pro Football Hall of Fame


One of the, I guess good things about relocating to Ohio and opening the Cincinnati branch of OSG World HQ is that I am now located close to some things that I wouldn't have been back in Atlanta. One of those that I am closer to now would be in Canton, Ohio...about 3 hours away, it would be the Mecca to all that is Pro Football...it would be...The Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Perhaps the very 1st question that you would ask about this...and I bring this up because it was the first question my lovely bride asked; "Why is it in Canton?". Canton isn't exactly someplace to be revered by, well, anyone...but the Hall is here so it must be OK, right? Well, good reader, the reason it is in Canton is because the 1st Pro Football Game was played between a team from Canton and a team from Pittsburgh. The Hall is there as a reminder of where it all began.

We spent about 4 hours at the Hall and there is a lot to see. It starts, like I said...at the beginning, showing exhibits and memorabilia from the late 18 and early 1900's. One thing I learned early on was that the field was originally marked in 5 yard grids...yes both the length and width of the field. The quarterback couldn't go past his 5 yard grid to pass...interesting...don't you think?

As we wound our way through the Hall, we moved on through the 40's, 50's and 60's and then got to see some of the cool stuff. To any good Miami Dolphin fan...such as myself, seeing things from the undefeated 14-0 team through the Dan Marino exhibit...definite highlight material. Though I don't remember it well, I actually was at a couple of games that year; the undefeated year, in the good ol' Orange Bowl. You see we lived down there at the time and my father's company had season tickets. What better reason to take a then 8 year old to see some football. That's where I became I Dolphin fan and as most of you know, you don't get to change teams, so yeah...I do stick with them.

This is the only photo I have of the Man...Mr. Marino, but the Lovely Bride has a nice picture of me posing next to the Marino statue and jersey on her camera, which she hasn't downloaded yet. Yeah I know, goofy, but hey, it's what I grew up with.

We sat through a couple of movies done by the fine folks at NFL Films which was both a good and a bad thing. I love to watch the work those guys do, it's always amazing, top notch stuff. But it also reminded me that I am not doing that anymore. 21 years of working and shooting football games which for the most part I don't miss, until I see something inspiring...stuff from NFL Films.

All in all, very cool and honestly...a little deceptive. The Hall itself is in a relatively small building next to Fawcett Stadium (where they play the Hall of Fame Game). It looks like it was built straight out of the 60's...because well...it was. Plus it fits in with the rest of the dreary looking city of which it is located.

Anyway, if you ever find yourself in the Northeastern part of Ohio, this is a "MUST" do. It had been on my list of Sports places to go for...well forever. I mean how could it not be? I highly recommend it, it is well worth your time.

No comments: