Monday, July 14, 2008

Billy Packer's Run Is Over (Thank God...)

CBS, it's about freaking time.

Billy Packer, according to the Miami Herald, is no longer announcing the NCAA basketball championship game. His streak is now at 34 consecutive championship games in a row. Barry Jackson with the Herald also reports that Jim Nance will now be joined by longtime color analyst Clark Kellogg.

You can read Jackson's full column hyah.

I will have to admit, this makes me VERY happy. Yes, Packer's a Wake Forest alum, so I have some measure of loyalty to him. But come on! Packer is the grumpiest old fart in broadcasting, and I have never heard him like something. He's always griping about this guy, or this coach, or this "bad call."

I think the final straw was during last year's Kansas/UNC Final Four game, when Kansas was up 40-12 in the first half. Packer pulled out an old Dicky-V comment when he said, "Folks, this game is over." I bet the CBS execs all spit out their drink of choice when that was said. Game is over = Lower revenue dollars.

Anyway, this guy is beyond irritating. I washed my hands of him some years ago, and CBS is finally joining the effort. According to the Herald, Packer is "pursuing other interests in basketball."

I think sweat mopper would be his perfect job.

Enjoy forced retirement, Billy...

--John Wood



PS- Remember this...???


No comments: