Thursday, July 3, 2008

Favre No More!

Will ESPN, Bus Cook, Brett Favre, Al Harris and everyone else who ever had anything to do with Brett Favre please just shut the HELL UP!

I know that I’m tired of hearing about is he or isn’t he, the dude retired already. I don’t want to know about him getting the “Itch” for the game as ESPN keeps pounding into my head. I don’t want to hear about “Second Thoughts”. I don’t want to hear about Brett Favre thinking about coming back…I don’t care!

What is the problem?

I’m not even sure this time where the problem started. Surely everyone remembers the tearful Press Conference earlier this year where Favre announced “I’m done, I’m ready for this, and I don’t want to do it any more."

Well, there have been whispers for the past couple of months that Brett’s agent has been sniffing around, trying to gauge other teams interest. Every so often the “Four Letter Word” would report on them and one of the thousands of talking heads or former players that seem to appear on the air there would proclaim “He’s coming back!”

Should we care?

No, we shouldn’t. I mean how many people remember each of the past 5 off seasons where there would be endless speculation about whether Favre would call it quits. Breathless and non-stop…is he a Hall of Famer or isn’t he? It would go on and on and on and on. Brett would say he leaning toward it, then he wasn’t.

You know what, the first time I get. You are allowed to second guess your professional mortality. When you get older you are entitled to think about it. But that’s it, you only get one. Dude has had 5 now.

Is he a “Hall of Fame” quarterback? No question, he’s earned that. Is he the greatest Green Bay Packer ever? Arguable, but I could be convinced. What does he have left to prove?

Favre himself was quoted this week as saying this has all been speculation, but not true. Okay, if that is the case, why are there still rumors of the agent shopping his services? If it isn’t true, why is the “4-Letter Word (ESPN)” doing 10-minutes of SportsCenter talking to every human being who has ever been a part of the man’s life? Oh…wait, they always go overboard on speculative stories…it’s what they do.

Just Stay Retired!

Dude, why should you second guess your decision to retire? Don’t you know how the Sports scene is littered with guys who stayed too long, or kept coming back even though they shouldn’t (see Emmitt Smith). Just say no! Just stay at home, sit back, relax, grab a beer and enjoy life. You’ve put in your time; you’ve done your job well. You’ve been successful. Enjoy the fruits of you labor. Kick back on that ranch in Mississippi and watch the world go by, you’ve got nothing but time and money, take advantage of it.

Stay away from football, you, sir, are exhibiting signs of being an addict. Stay away, don’t watch it, don’t follow it, just have fun with your family, you have earned that right.

--Phil Cantor

“The Time has come, my song is over, thought I’d something more to say”-Time (Pink Floyd)

No comments: