Friday, July 11, 2008

The MLB All-Star Game

I’m not going political here; I’m really just talking about one of the most overrated things in the whole, wide, wonderful world of Sports. Surely, if you think about it, you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about. I’m talking about the “July” Classic or as you and I know it. The Major League Baseball All-Star Game.

But it’s Sentimental!

Yeah, and so are romantic comedies. I get the whole last game in Old Yankee Stadium, though I am more bothered by the fact that we are referring already to “Old” Yankee Stadium. You can’t have a “New” and an “Old” Yankee stadium. History is history and to quote the Highlander; “There can only be ONE!”

I also get the whole sentimentality thing, the lore of baseball history, the glamour and the nostalgia of the game. What I don’t get is the “It’s Baseball’s best players”. It isn’t. It’s baseballs most popular players. Much like audience participation reality television shows, it’s not about the “Best” it is about the most popular. Think about it. Most of you serious sports fans out there know exactly what I am talking about. Every year you hear about who was deserving, who wasn’t and who got left out. That’s because it’s about the popular vote. Ichiro isn’t one of the 3 best outfielders in the American League this season, by admission he is having his worst year, but he is starting.

What Killed it?

It was dead a long time ago, but the final nail in the All-Star coffin to me, was the decision to make the game “Allegedly” mean something. We all know the story of the “tie” game, where all of the pitchers had been used and the managers decided to just call the game a tie. Shortly thereafter, the uber-commisioner, Jon’s pal, heir Selig, decided that the game would now determine home field advantage in the World Series. Why he and/or the owners felt that was necessary, was never explained to anyone. Come on guys, it’s a freakin’ exhibition game. All of the other “Major” sports leagues play exhibition all star games, why can’t you?

Will I watch?

I doubt that I will watch this year’s game; I’m really not that interested. I like the idea of some of the best players being in the game, but I don’t know that it is enough to get me to devote 4+ hours to watch the game.

Without going into another rant, watching it is also part of what I hate about baseball. Fox has made it into a mostly self-absorbed promotional opportunity and that just annoys the hell out of me on principle. I’m happy for the two Atlanta Braves who are playing. Chipper Jones has been fun to watch and really enjoyable to talk with this season as he matures into the Hall of Famer that he is destined to become. Seeing Brian McCann grow up from kid to big-time one of the best catchers in the league has been great. Seeing the smile on his face as he talked about getting to be there…even better. Guys enjoy your time, enjoy your game. I won’t see it, but I’ll read about it and look forward to you talking about it when you get back to Atlanta.

--Phil Cantor

“The time has come, my song is over, thought I’d something more to say” --Time (Pink Floyd)

No comments: