Friday, July 11, 2008

Washington's Jim Zorn - Is He The One?

OK, OK...

I have yet to open my burgundy-and-gold lined mouth about new Redskin head coach Jim Zorn. Nelly and Brother Phil went through a spell where they would call my cellphone and say, “Jim Zorn!” They tormented me for weeks. For the longest time, I told myself I was finished with Washington. Washed my hands of the Hogs. I was a free agent fan in search of a new team, because the “Deadskins” had disappointed me for the last time. That was, until I did I little research…and soul searching...

Hail to the Zornskins…

OK, Jim Zorn wasn’t anywhere on my radar when Richie Rich was on the market for a Joe Gibbs replacement. I was sure it would be Gregg Williams – fan favorite, player favorite, defensive mastermind.

Nope. Gregg, enjoy your pinkslip.

Jim freaking Zorn?

I’m still amazed that Vinny Cerrato and Dan Snyder even considered this guy. An ex-QB who had the pleasure to toss the pigskin to Steve Largent in Seattle. Whoop-de-doo. Zorn has bounced around from team to team, from college pro – with as little fanfare as getting an average burger and fries from Jocks and Jill’s for lunch on a Tuesday afternoon.

The ‘Skins have had nothing BUT fanfare the last few seasons, after Norv Turner left. Turner wasn’t exactly the excitement capitol of the NFL. I mean, Marty Schottenheimer, Steve Spurrier, Gibbs...Deion Sanders...Al Saunders and Gregg Williams...us ‘Skins fans have gotten used to the hype outweighing the performance.

The emotional long-time Hoggette in me is saying, “Death to the Redskins, enjoy mediocrity.” The rational side to me, however, is telling me to give the guy a chance. You still have Clinton Portis, Jason Campbell, and Santana Moss. Don’t forget Chris Cooley.

I’m having an internal Bay of Pigs. Do I become a hypocrite and back down on my anti-Zorn stance? Do I pull for, say, the Carolina Panthers and cry as the ‘Skins make it to the playoffs?

We Have a History...

I’ve pulled for the ‘Skins since 1978. I’ve met Mark Rypien and the "Diesel" John Riggins. I actually covered a high school football game at Rypien’s old high school – Shadle Park High in Spokane, WA. I’ve seen four Cowboy/Redskin games at RFK Stadium. I saw the ‘Skins play the Falcons in Atlanta when James Brown was the halftime entertainment. I’ve seen ‘Skins games in seven different states. I hate the Eagles, Giants, and Cowboys with a passion. Can I be anything BUT a ‘Skins fan?

I’m hurt. Honestly hurt. As a fan, I am tired of being dead last in the NFC East. I’m tired to losing to NYG, DAL, and PHI on a regular basis. Maybe I’m just a petulant little child, bemoaning the fact my idol – Joe Gibbs – is no longer the coach of the Redskins (again).

I’ve touched his bust in the NFL Hall of Fame for crying out loud.

While I’ve talked big and bad about ditching DC, I honestly don’t think I can. The draft this year wasn’t spectacular, but at least it was solid. Campbell could benefit from Zorn’s “I’m not gonna piss anyone off, and I’m going to do everything by the book no matter what” approach. I’m sure Jason could benefit from being coached up a bit – God knows he has the talent already.

Maybe a little less talk will allow for a lot more action. We can hope, right?

One...Last...Chance...

ImageI have one last chance in me...

Zorn – I’m publicly calling you out. I give you one season. ONE season. One chance to earn the respect of this longtime ‘Skins fan.

How do you do that, you ask?

Beat the absolute crap out of Dallas twice, win the NFC East, and bring home a Super Bowl ring. If you do that, you’re golden. Burgundy-and-gold for life.

No pressure.

I’m not usually this deep, just deep in it. Trust me.

--John Wood

No comments: