Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It's Tim Tebow's World

It’s Tebow’s World!

Well, I was looking for something to write about for day 1 of the SEC’s Media Days in beautiful Hoover, Alabama, and suddenly it became clear to me. Clear enough that I had to think about where I was, what I was doing and all that other clichéd stuff.

You see when I walked into the lobby of the Wynfrey Hotel, the clouds parted, the sun was a little brighter and I could see things closer than 5 feet away from me.

Tim and Chuck

It’s amazing how things suddenly come into focus when you are around people from outside the area from which you live. Part of the fun of “Media Days” is standing around in crowded conference rooms waiting for people to appear for interviews. While partaking in this merriment, you tend to strike up conversation with the folks around you. And, if you are lucky enough, sometimes those folks will tell you about things that you didn’t know.

I was fortunate enough to be in a room populated by several crews from the Florida area. The guys, all very nice, told me about the “Legend” of Tim Tebow. Tebow you see is apparently everything that personifies a “Legendary” athlete. So much so that there is now a mythology that goes along with him, one that includes several websites (check out the link hyah!)
http://sportzwriter316.blogspot.com/2007/09/tim-tebow-is-real-chuck-norris.html)

Looking for Clues

So the first clue that I was in a different place was the gathering in the lobby. Little kids and grown ups all with his jersey, all waiting for him to appear.

The second clue was the cameras. Not 5, not 10 but 20 all poised waiting to get a glimpse. And then he arrived…and all sprang to action, only to see him ushered to an elevator, away from all.

The third clue, another group of cameras, lights ablaze and walking at strange angles, all following him, all looking for the magical shot: Tim Tebow WALKING!

Really Nice

I have to admit, he really is a nice kid. He finally made his way into the room of cameras and patiently answered his fifth set of 10 minutes of questions. He answered them all and answered well. He actually said the football was only a “Means to accomplish an end” not “What he is about”. I can respect that.

Heck, anyone who spends his off-season/downtime traveling on missions to the Philippine Islands and mentions his favorite accomplishment this spring as “Assisting in Surgery”, how can you not respect that. I mean heck, it sounds like a freakin’ comic book, but it really is true. The only thing he hasn’t done at this point is run out onto the field in Blue Tights with a Big “S” on the front.

And so goes day 1….

“The time has come, my song is over, thought I’d something more to say”- Time (Pink Floyd)

No comments: