Friday, July 25, 2008

SEC Media Days, Day 2

Nuggets…We Got Nuggets (SEC Day 2)

Yes, we have stepped into what can only be described as Bizarro land here in beautiful Hoover (outside Birmingham) Alabama. It was truly a strange, strange day here in well, I’m not sure really how to describe this place.

You Got Served…

Obviously, the big news of the day was Tennessee Coach Phil Fulmer receiving a subpoena upon his arrival at the luxurious Wynfrey Hotel. There are a few different versions of how this occurred. I’ve heard it was handed to him as he walked through the hotel, before making the rounds with the media hordes.

The new information is that according to ABC 33/40 (Can’t think of the call letters) here in Birmingham, the document was “Thrown” at Fulmer when he got out of his vehicle. He supposedly picked it up and upon realizing what it was, kept it and went about his business. Unfortunately nobody got this on videotape, but, what can you do?

Fulmer didn’t want to talk much about it today, but he didn’t have to. When he arrived in the room I was in and was asked about it, he said “There are a lot of nice fans who are dedicated to rooting for there team, but there are also some who are just plain Jerks. I’ll stick to that word since this is going to be on TV”. Nice, he obviously wasn’t happy about it, but didn’t deny it like he did to the Knoxville News-Sentinel either.

Great Satan…

The other pariah today, none other than Alabama Head Coach/Traitor Nick Satan…I mean Saban. If you haven’t been to Alabama you probably don’t realize how the people worship and I’m talking fawning at the mere sight of there “Football Coach”.

Much to my amazement, Saban actually had my favorite line of the day. When asked about having to go to LSU (one of several former employers), he responded this way: “When we get on the busses to head over to the stadium, I’ll probably be on one bus by myself, I’m pretty sure that my guys will not want to be near me”. Wow! Self-Deprecating humor. Somewhat out of character for the Great Satan, but amusing never the less.

Other Stuff…

Really there wasn’t much else to report. Mark Richt and the Georgia Bulldogs were in the house today. There really wasn’t much to report on with the ‘Dawgs, they were asked a gazillion times about this years high expectations and last years Florida game, but that was about it. Both the Coach and his players, Jeff Owens and Mohammed Massaquoi were classy and answered every question…except when someone asked Massaquoi “If you don’t win the SEC this year, who do you think will?” He kind of smiled and just said “I’m not really thinking about that”. What else can you say.

Friday’s session should be interesting, among the scheduled guests, Tommy Tuberville of Auburn, the ‘Ol Ball Coach himself and the happy wanderer Bobby Petrino, currently of Arkansas (for now). There probably won’t be much hoopla with the first two guys, it’ll be real interesting how Mr. Stiff Petrino, answers questions from the Atlanta media in attendance.

“The time has come, my song is over, thought I’d something more to say”- Time (Pink Floyd)

No comments: