Thursday, January 29, 2009

Alabama Coaching Soap Opera

It appears Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith isn't looking for work. Smith's name has been mentioned toward the Alabama job, one that C.M Newton is advising Alabama athletic director Mal Moore. You see Newton hired Smith at Kentucky in 1997. According to the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Smith isn't interested in moving to the South again.

"I'm happy here in Minnesota," Smith said Wednesday. "I'm not looking for any jobs. We've got a great recruiting class coming here next year, so I'm excited about where the Gopher program is, and I'm not a candidate for any other jobs. "

"So I don't want any more questions about it.''

Not a problem we won't ask.

Missouri head coach Mike Anderson commented on looking for work (Alabama?) after Mizzou was upset by Kansas State 88-72 in Manhattan, KS.

"Right now, this is the most important right now," Anderson told reporters. "I'm the head coach at the University of Missouri. I'm focused on having a great season. We're in a battle right now, so that's where my focus and that's where my energy is right now."

Interesting if you read between the lines. Anderson is a Birmingham, Alabama native and did have success at UAB. He seems willing to listen.

No comments: