Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Doing Paul Hewitt A Big Favors

South Atlanta High School center Derrick Favors ((pictured, Pouya Dianat/AJC.com)) is staying home- for, probably, that one year he's going to play college basketball. Favors announced Wednesday that he will be attending the Georgia Institute for Technology.

A coup for the Yellow Jackets, no doubt. Favors had his final three choices down to Tech, the University of Georgia, and NC State.

Looking at this photo from the Tech-Duke game, we imagine the smile on his face is one only Dr. Evil and Mister Bigglesworth can understand and enjoy.

(("My time on your campus will cost you one BILLION dollars..."))

Favors is listed as the state's top recruit and a Top-5 prospect nationwide by most of those jibber-jabber recruiting boards you see everywhere. He joins guards Glen Rice, Junior of Walton ((Marietta, Georgia)) High and Mfon Udofia of Miller Grove ((Lithonia, Georgia)) and forwards Kammeon Holsey of Hancock Central ((Sparta, Georgia)) and Brian Oliver of Oak Hill Academy in Virginia for a Top-10 recruiting class.

Todd Holcomb of the AJC caught up with Favors at his press conference...

“I can play power forward, small forward,” he said. “[Tech] will use me for my scoring ability and rebounding, and they’ll use me on the wing for my athleticism and give me the freedom to show my ball-handling skills.”

Favors contradicted himself when asked the chances of him leaving Tech early, first saying “I don’t know the chances now” but later conceding, “I think the chances are good. … I’ll wait till I get there and work as hard as I can.”

And, yes, people were there getting autographs...

No comments: