Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Effing Fired: The End In Des Moines

((HT: WHO-TV))

Three employees of a Des Moines sports radio station have been fired. KXNO has let go Larry Cotlar, Marty Tirrell and Geoff Conn ((pictured, WHO-TV)).

The firings relate to an incident at the station Friday morning. Hear the incident here...

A profanity-laced argument between Cotlar and Tirrell accidentally made it on the air. The argument happened during a commercial break when the men thought the studio microphone was not going out live on the air. The argument could be heard in the background of the commercials. Conn was reportedly running the audio board during the commercial break.

KXNO suspended Cotlar, Conn and Tirrell earlier this week.
They have not been on air since Friday.

Tirrell released a statement to the media on his termination. In part, it reads: "I have remained quiet for the past few days so Clear Channel could make their decision. That said, I have been eager to publicly apologize. Specifically, I would like to apologize to Larry Cotlar for the way I treated him. He deserved better, I would also like to apologize to anyone who heard the comments on the radio, to Bud Legg and the IHSAA and to Clear Channel for the embarrassment I have caused them."

Channel 13 has also confirmed Tirrell will no longer participate as a commentator on KCCI in the "Mouth of the Midwest" segment. Conn spoke with Channel 13's Keith Murphy and says he was fired for "violation of Clear Channel policy."

In a statement sent Wednesday afternoon, Conn wrote: "I am very sorry for what happened on the air Friday, I apologize to KXNO listeners. I am very thankful for the opportunity to work at Clear Channel Radio the past 14 years. Thank you to all my friends, colleagues and listeners who have been so supportive on this very tough day."

In a statement from Larry Cotlar, he apologized to KXNO listeners and also wrote: "I am saddened and deeply disappointed with Clear Channel's decision to terminate my employment after all my years of service over an unfortunate incident which I did not initiate nor had any knowledge was being broadcast over the airwaves."

Clear Channel senior VP Joel McCrea has confirmed the firings to Channel 13.Cotlar was host of Cotlar & Company, which Geoff Conn often contributed to. Conn was also the assistant director of programming at KXNO. Marty Tirrell was a co-host on Marty & Miller.

No comments: