Thursday, April 16, 2009

It's The Matt Stafford Media Tour

I walk into the office this morning and see and hear Matt Stafford on Fox And Friends throwing passes. Then I see the former Georgia QB will make an appearance on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon tonight. Welcome to the Matt Stafford media tour.

Stafford's representatives know when you have a quarterback in their staple projected to be the top pick in the NFL Draft you get him out in the public to maximize his earning potential (and pad their commissions.)

Of course the Detroit Lions need to play nice and pick Stafford in the draft at #1 and if you side with the 4- letter word's "draft experts" Todd McShay and Mel Kiper, Jr., then he is a lock to wear the Honolulu Blue and Silver of the dreadful Lions.

Others don't feel the same way. ProFootballTalk.com have the Lions going for need in their mock draft with offensive tackle Eugene Monroe of Virginia going #1. What about Stafford? PFT has the former Georgia Bulldog going at #10 to the San Francisco 49ers.... behind Mark Sanchez.

Friend of OSG Mike Mayock from the NFL Network added his take on Stafford to the media Wednesday and he feels the Lions can do better.

“The way I look at it is, quarterback is the most important position in football, but you better make sure you’re gonna bang the table and believe in the guy if you’re gonna take him in the top 10, like I did with Matt Ryan a year ago. He was my No. 1 guy the whole year for a reason. I don’t feel the same way about Stafford. So if I’m the Lions, I take Eugene Monroe and I worry about the quarterback position either at No. 20, trading up from No. 20, next year, whatever. But me personally, I couldn’t afford to take a shot at No. 1 where, if I’m wrong, I think I set the franchise back another five years.”

Ouch... but if you have drank the 4 letter cool aid then Stafford is the greatest quarterback to ever be drafted.

I'm not knocking Stafford's skill and the fact that he scored very high (38 out of 50 points) on the Wonderlick test is impressive. It's just their is little margin of error when you take a quarterback that high in the draft. Sure the Indianapolis Colts are thrilled with Peyton Manning (#1 pick in 1998) but how do the Atlanta Falcons feel after their seven experience (#1 pick in 2001). For every Troy Aikman or Eli Manning who has worked out their are to many David Carr's, Tim Couch's, Alex Smith's & JaMarcus Russell's who set their franchises back. Yes it's high risk and high reward.

My opinion doesn't mean jack so I will take a pass. I just know that from now until the NFL Draft the 4-letter will keep telling me Matt Stafford can throw the bomb and is the bomb plus will make the media rounds to prove it.
Photo Courtesy: Getty Images/ESPN.com



No comments: