Saturday, May 23, 2009

"Gwinnett" Glavine Struggles In Rehab Start


((HT: AJC/Jeff Schultz))

After extensive rehab and a setback or two, he was owned by the Toledo Mud Hens, which is not the way a legend wants to end it. He threw two shutout innings, then was tagged for an RBI triple and a two-run homer in the third, before exiting for an ice bag.

There was some good news. Glavine ((pictured, thanks Jason Getz/AJC)) had strength, just little control. On a lighter note, Clint Sammons’ three-run homer in the fourth got him off the hook. “That’s good — I won’t get my first minor-league loss in 20-something years,” he said.

He’s trying to keep it real. He’s encouraged but that’s it. He admitted before the game, “There’s some days it doesn’t feel great and I’m like, ‘You know, what are you doing this for?’ But I just think if I didn’t find out if I could do this, I’d be kicking myself. … Having had the surgery I had and putting in all the work, I just can’t find it in my heart to say no. I’ve got to find out.”

Eight-plus months of rehab will wear anybody down. Glavine has an acceptance level about retirement that wasn’t evident before.

“The way things have gone, I’m a little more open-minded to things happening,” he said. “I’m just in the mind-set of: I’m going to push it and try to go. If everything goes well and I can come back, great. If not, at least I tried.”

No comments: