Thursday, May 28, 2009

New Crew Chief For Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Tony Eury, Jr. Let Go

OSG has learned that Tony Eury, Jr. will no longer be the crew chief for Dale Earnhardt, Jr. Hendrick Motorsports announced that Eury will be replaced as crew chief for the number 88 team. According to Hendrick Motorsports.com Eury will move from the crew chief position into a key role with Hendrick Motorsports' research and development group.

"I have mixed feelings, and that's just natural," Eury said. "But I enjoy working at Hendrick Motorsports, and this is where I want to be. I'll do whatever I can to help all of our teams and try to be a part of another championship. I think a new challenge will be good."

"Tony and I talked through this last night," said Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports . "I want him here, he wants to be here, and he's going to be a big contributor to our future success. I have an unbelievable amount of respect for the job he's done and for the caliber of person that he is."

The two are first cousins and Eury has been Dale, Jr's crew chief his entire career behind the wheel. They have one win in 48 races with Hendrick and are 19th in points. Monday was clearly the lowest point finishing 40th at Lowe's Motor Speedway in a rain shortened race.
Team manager Brian Whitesell will lead the team this weekend at Dover, Del. Lance McGrew will become the interim crew chief starting with the June 7th race at Pocono.
Photo Courtesy: Hendrick Motor Sports.com

1 comment:

rakeback said...

I think Dale Jr. is the most overrated sports figure. The man has never even contended for a championship, and once again he didnt even make the chase. He is covered solely on the basis of who his father is.