Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Jayson Williams Sentenced To Five Years

((HT: NJ.com/Golson))

Former NBA star Jayson Williams has been sentenced to a minimum 18 months in prison for fatally shooting a hired driver in 2002.

Yes, that's eight years after the fact...

Williams avoided a retrial on a reckless manslaughter count by pleading guilty last month to a fourth-degree aggravated assault charge in the death of Costas Christofi in February of 2002.

"I know there's nothing I can do to bring Mr. Christofi back," Williams said to Christofi's family. "I am deeply deeply sorry... I pray that today brings you some comfort.

"To my family, please forgive me for the pain I've caused you," Williams said. "You deserve a better father, son, brother than I have been."

Williams was acquitted of aggravated manslaughter in 2004, but in only the idea of covering up the shooting.

State Superior Court Judge Edward Coleman sentenced Williams Tuesday to a total of five years on the cover-up counts, which will run concurrent to the assault sentence.

In a letter read to Judge Coleman, Andrea Adams, Christofi's sister, said she endured eight years of watching Williams "partying around" as if her loss was "meaningless."

"Jayson Williams has been treated like a king, and it has been tragic," Adams said. "I believe Jayson Williams is a danger to society and should not be walking the streets.

"Maybe then my brother can rest in peace," she said.

He will be eligible for parole after 18 months.

Witnesses testified Williams snapped a shotgun shut in the bedroom of his New Jersey mansion. The gun went off, killing Christofi.


At sentencing Jayson Williams apologizes to Christofi family

No comments: