Monday, February 8, 2010

What the Saints win means...


After the New Orleans Saints won the NFC Championship game two weeks ago, I posted a story about the reaction of my wife (The Lovely Bride), a lifelong Saints fan. I spoke about the tear in her eye when the clock struck zero and the game was over. That paled in comparison to the emotions of last night's Super Bowl.

((TLB still can't believe it//Courtesy: My Cellphone))

TLB had gone to great lengths to prepare for the game. Immediately after the NFC Championship game, she ordered the T-Shirt...not only for her, but for me, a lifelong Miami Dolphins fan. TLB had planned for a week to make a big pot of Gumbo, not from a mix or package mind you, no, she was making Gumbo and making it from scratch.

Me, I had to work in the morning. I, however set the tone for the day early. On my way home, I went to Popeye's (closest thing we can get to spicy food in Cincinnati) and got some Chicken and Red Beans and Rice.

So, the day progressed and we for the most part. Ok, me, for the most part avoided the 32 hour long CBS Pregame sponsor fest. She however started in mid-afternoon while trying to put together the Roux, an major ingredient in the Gumbo.

So, we sat down to finally watch the game...well I did. TLB couldn't watch it much early. Had a hard time, not wanting to look up as if she still couldn't believe her Saints were there. By the end of halftime she was ready. When the second half started with an onside kick...she screamed. Yes, TLB knows her football pretty well and like me and most others, were stunned that Sean Payton and the Saints had the balls to make that call.

I guess the realization of what was happening finally sunk in on the Tracy Porter interception return. She jumped from the couch faster than the cat ever could and screamed at the top of her lungs. Mind you it wasn't a "Wooooo!!!!!"...it was "OH MY GAWD, OH MY GAWD, OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!". I was both happy and scared, you know, I had that "Oh I hope the neighbors don't think we are fighting and call the cops thought".

As the 2-minute warning quit, TLB turned and had to ask "Can they (the Colts) still come back?", "No dear, it isn't likely". "Sure, we always find a way to lose like that". "Not this time, Payton Manning is good, but even he can't come back from that".

So the game ended and there we sat. After all the late-game yelling, she just sat there, crying, uncontrollably. Couldn't say anything, just cried. After a couple of minutes, TLB finally was able to call her mom in Lafayette, Louisiana and though I couldn't hear her mom, I'm pretty sure that the conversation was like this; "Oh my god!", mom-"Oh, my god", TLB- "Oh, my god, did you see it?", "Oh...oh my god".

Yes, they really did win. No, the earth is still here...at least today. As far as I know, we aren't in an alternate reality and yes, the Cubs have still never won the World Series...but one of least likely World Champions of all-time are now World Champs. New Orleans and the state of Louisiana have been through a lot. But they are getting better...getting better all the time and now they can say they are getting better and have the best team in Football. Congratulations.

Here is some celeberation from Vimeo


Saints Superbowl Victory Celebration from Cottage Films on Vimeo.

No comments: