Friday, August 22, 2008

What Happened To The Head Ball Coach

Is it me or is the Head Ball Coach toning down his act? Steve Spurrier hasn’t really been his brash self since taking over at South Carolina. Maybe a few years working for Daniel Snyder with the Washington Redskins and then going to South Carolina, great fan base, lousy football program, will take some of the smart aleck out of you.

I remember when Spurrier was the head coach at Florida in 1996 and brought his top ranked Gators into Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville, Arkansas and put a whipping on the Hogs. After the game with a camera on my shoulder, I had a great shot of the head ball coach running toward the locker room in the south end zone. A group of Hog fans were screaming obscenities at Spurrier and he raised his index finger and said, “Yea but we are #1.” I had to admit, that was a great comeback.

I wouldn’t mind seeing the brash Steve Spurrier return but this South Carolina team won’t be that much to brag about.

Mike Bianchi of the Orlando Sentinel shares the same feeling as I do.
(Photo Courtesy: AP)

No comments: