Friday, May 15, 2009

Herzlich Battling Cancer

Boston College All-American linebacker Mark Herzlich revealed Thursday he has cancer. Herzlich was diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma, a malignant tumor most often found in bone or soft tissue.
Boston College sports information released this statement from Herzlich:

"This past week, I got some news nobody wants to hear. After undergoing some tests to determine the cause of some pain I had been experiencing in my leg, I learned that I have Ewing's Sarcoma.

"Obviously, I was shocked. I had been extremely focused on preparing for my senior season at Boston College and for life beyond that. Now, I must channel all that energy into facing my toughest opponent yet, and that is exactly what I will do.

"I have returned to Pennsylvania to be near my family and to undergo a series of tests that will help my doctors determine the best course of treatment. I will keep you informed about my progress, but for now, I would like to ask for privacy as my family and I make some tough decisions.

"At this point, I do not know what this means for my football future, but I am determined to rid my body of this disease so that I can put that uniform back on. Thank you in advance for your prayers and concern. Together, we will fight this and win."

Herzlich was the 2008 ACC Defensive Player of the Year and was to be the anchor of the Eagle defense this year. While it's a big blow for B.C. the focus now is for Herzlich to beat this disease. Those of us at OSG are on your team and will be praying for you.

Photo Courtesy: Jim Rogash/Getty Images

No comments: