Thursday, December 31, 2009

Tuberville Interested in Texas Tech Job

A year of living the good life seems to have recharged the batteries of former Auburn head coach Tommy Tuberville who is ready to get back in.

Today on ESPN 103.3 in Dallas, Tuberville was a guest on Galloway & Co. and expressed interest in the vacant Texas Tech head coaching position.

"I would be very interested." Tuberville said on the show. "I have family there. I have a lot of ties there. I've recruited Dallas and Houston and I think it would be a pretty good fit. Mike [Leach] did a good job and I think I could make the situation even better."
In 1994 Tuberville was defensive coordinator at Texas A&M so he has experience in the Lone Star state.
Tuberville still lives in Auburn, Alabama and told FOSG Tony Barnhart of CBS Sports.com, "It feels like time to get back in. I'm still young and I feel good. We'll see if anything happens."
Tuberville is 55 years old and has a career coaching record of 110-64

Tuberville is one of the classiest coaches those of us in the OSG HQ have dealt with. If the Texas Tech administration wants a big name with plenty of gas in the tank Tuberville would be a good hire. Tuberville won big time at Auburn which is not as easy as you might think. With that experience Tuberville could be very successful out in the Big 12's lonely West Texas outpost. If Tuberville is that interested then calling his agent should be at or near the top of Texas Tech's list once the search begins.


Photo Courtesy: AP

1 comment:

Mike Briggs said...

If I was Texas Tech I would jump at the chance of getting a coach like Tubberville. He's a great coach.