Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Monday College Tackle Football Update


Good news and bad...

The good... Utah Head Coach Kyle Whittingham ((pictured, thanks Scott G. Winterton/Deseret News)) gets a five year, $6-million extension to stay with the Running Utes...

The contract, which will pay Whittingham $1.2 million annually, includes a base salary of $200,000. The remainder will come from radio and television rights, appearance fees, public speaking, fundraising and official outfitter compensation from Under Armour.

"When I hired Kyle four years ago, I felt he was the best person for the job, and the fact that we are here at a BCS bowl, with a 12-0 record and a No. 7 national ranking bears that out," said Director of Athletics Dr. Chris Hill. "We are elated that Kyle feels the same commitment to the University of Utah that we have to him and our football program. Kyle does things the right way, his players excel not only on the field, but in the classroom and the community, and he is an excellent ambassador for our university."

Said Whittingham, "I am very happy here at the University of Utah and feel fortunate to coach in a place where we can attract quality student-athletes who can compete at the highest level. I appreciate the support that Dr. Hill and President Young have given me and also the incredible support the community has shown for our football team."

The bad- Miami fires Offensive Coordinator Patrick Nix ((pictured, thanks Andrew Uloza/Miami Herald)) after two seasons on the job.

Nix said he and Shannon simply had different styles on how to best run an offense.

“I enjoyed it here. I appreciated Randy giving me the opportunity,” Nix said. “I’d like to have gone with something more wide-open and more no-huddle. He and I had a philosophical difference on that.”
Shannon released a statement announcing the dismissal, without revealing what went specifically into the decision.

“It is my obligation to review all aspects of the program and make decisions as to how we can improve as a football team,” Shannon said.

This year, the Hurricanes are 89th in total offense at 326 yards per game, and 52nd in scoring offense at 27.1 points per outing. Both are improvements over last season, and both came with two freshmen who had never thrown a pass in a college game before this season— Robert Marve and Jacory Harris.

"I fully realized the expectations when I came here, in the end, Coach Shannon and I just have a difference on how to run an offense,” Nix said. “What I want to do is just not what he wants to do. God closed this door, God will open another one for me, and I have faith in that.”

Miami Herald coverage is in black...

Observations from OSG HQ- Nix is a good guy from good family stock- not just good coaching stock. He and his father, well-respected high school coach Conrad Nix, are two of the best men you will ever meet. Patrick should end up on his feet- quickly.

No comments: