Saturday, December 20, 2008

Rhodes Is The Choice To Lead Cyclones

In the bizzaro world of the silly season of college football this one is right up there. Remember Gene Chizik abruptly left Iowa State to take the Auburn job. So ISU athletic director Jamie Pollard picks his next Cyclone head coach from... Auburn.

Paul Rhods, who was Auburn's defensive coordinator last season, will become the new head coach of Iowa State. The University confirmed the hire this morning according to the Des Moines Register. Rhods will be introduced at the Iowa State basketball game tonight.

The hiring of Rhods pleases the boosters that write the big checks. Richard Stark, a prominent ISU booster was quoted in Saturday's Des Moines Register I think this is one of those hires that will not raise a lot of eyebrows, but I think it’s a helluva hire,’’ Stark said. “He’s a smart guy, a charismatic guy, an Ankeny guy. I think he’s a helluva pick.’’

The Ankeny reference is because Rhods is from Ankeny, Iowa. He even coached a few years as an assistant at Iowa State.

Rhods said in a statement “It has been a professional goal of mine to become a head coach since my dad introduced me to the game as a kid and I could not have found a more perfect place than Iowa State, I know how special Ames and ISU were to me during my first tenure and having the chance to return and lead this program reads like a Hollywood script."
Photo Courtesy:Des Moines Register File Photo

No comments: