Friday, October 24, 2008

Lute Is Leaving Arizona

Lute Olson is retiring as head basketball coach at the University of Arizona.

"This was not a decision that was made lightly," Olson said. "I've had a wonderful run at The University of Arizona. I leave with a great sense of pride in what we have accomplished here."

"At this stage in my life, I want to devote my time to my children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, family and friends. I look forward to watching Wildcat basketball and visiting with my colleagues in the coaching profession. It is time to pass the program on to a younger staff, to transition the university to the next generation of basketball."

Olson legacy will loom large at U 0f A. in 25 season on the Arizona bench Olson led the Wildcats to 4 final fours and a national title in 1997 as well as 11 Pac-10 Championships, 4 Pac-10 Tournamemt titles. Most impressively, Olson led Arizona to 23 straight NCAA Tournament appearances, the longest active streak in the NCAA.


Paola Boivin of the Arizona Republic says it’s the end of a dynasty at UA.
Photo Courtesy: Xavier Gallegos/Tucson Citizen

No comments: