Monday, November 30, 2009

Groh Gone At UVA, Who's Next?

Al Groh is gone at Virginia.

It's was a long death watch here at the OSG HQ but we knew this day was coming when William & Mary beat up on the Wahoos in the season opener.

With a sorry season and a fan base becoming more and more apathetic, Virginia athletic director Craig Littlepage had to pull the trigger and he did on Sunday.

"There is not a coach in the college game who has worked harder than Al Groh in trying to build a football program. Football is his life and he dedicated himself to the University and to our football team,"

Littlepage
said in a statement released by the University.
"We are grateful for his service and for his commitment to his players and his coaching staff."


Groh had 2 years remaining on his contract. He and UVA came to an agreement and will receive $4.33 million.

Nice way to say "Get out."

Groh released this statement Sunday night:
I am privileged to have represented this fine University – a school from which my two sons and I have earned degrees. I hope I have represented it well.

I feel very fortunate.

I am an ordinary guy who has been lucky to have been around some extraordinary players and coaches who put me in a position to enjoy many fulfilling games and seasons – and that’s the truth.

I gave everything I had to the position and to each game.

I have coached Hall of Fame players, worked alongside Hall of Fame coaches, and coached in two Super Bowls, but my time as the Head Coach of the Virginia Cavaliers has been my most memorable coaching experience.

What I will remember the most are the players’ faces in the locker room after some of the great wins we had over legendary programs like Penn State, Florida State, and Miami; rivals North Carolina and Maryland; and in bowl games.

I sincerely appreciate the efforts of all the coaches and players who have been a part of our program – I am indebted to you. I hope the players feel that one of their most positive college experiences was playing for Al Groh.

My coaching philosophy and method of building teams has trust and teamwork as bedrocks. We were poised to solidify our position as a top team. Instead, as that trust and collaboration deteriorated, I could see this day coming.

We arrived with a set of principles that we have tried to remain faithful to and we leave with those principles intact. Change can make things better or worse. I have every confidence that this will be a positive change for the Groh family and I look forward to my next game.

To all the members of the Virginia football family: I love you and God bless you.

All sorts of names will be thrown out there. I wouldn't be surprised if someone goes down I-64 to Blacksburg to see if Bud Foster is interested. Chris Petersen at Boise State might get a call. You will hear the names of Kevin Sumlin, Brian Kelly, etc.


My guess is that Virginia will find a hot shot non-BCS head coach who wants a chance at a BCS school but won't command a king's ransom, an up and coming assistant coach or someone from the lower divisions with a track record of championships.


Let the silly season begin.


Photo Courtesy: Matt Gentry/The Roanoke Times

Marc Davis from the Newsplex, otherwise known as WCAV-TV in Charlottesville, caught up with Groh- who has already switched allegiances to the SEC...

No comments: