Friday, November 27, 2009

Sheppard Will Not Return To Yankees

One of the great voices in baseball, long-time New York Yankees public address announcer Bob Sheppard is not returning to the booth...

For anyone who has been to the Bronx his intonations have been a fixture since 1951- when Sheppard was 41 YEARS OLD!!!!!

Sheppard told mlb.com: "I have no plans of coming back," Sheppard told the website in a telephone interview. "Time has passed me by, I think. I had a good run for it. I enjoyed doing what I did. I don't think, at my age, I'm going to suddenly regain the stamina that is really needed if you do the job and do it well."

For those of you that can't do the math... Sheppard is 99 years young...

One of the coolest things, though, is that whenever Derek Jeter still steps up to the plate, it's still Sheppard's voice you hear...

Even if it's a recording, it's still the guy Reggie Jackson referred to as "The Voice of God."

Sheppard will definitely be missed...
Here's is the video that played at Yankee Stadium on his day back in 2007...
((HT: MLB/YES))

No comments: