Saturday, August 22, 2009

Favre Very Rusty In First Pre-Season Game, Jackson Not Bad

Here is Brett Favre's number is his debut for the Minnesota Vikings Friday night in his first pre-season game: four passes, one completion for 4 yards.

Tarvaris Jackson's completed 12 of 18 passes for a two touchdowns, no interceptions had ended with a quarterback rating of 158.3. Not a bad night as the Vikings defeated the Kansas City Chiefs 17-13.

Jackson has been battling for the starting position before #4 decided it was time to play again and you would think under those circumstances Jackson put would have made his case to start. That all has changed with #4 sporting the Viking horns so the back-up job is up for grabs but that's not Jackson's mentality.

"I would hate to say in my head that I'm the backup," Jackson told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "I'd be cheating myself if I settled for being the backup. I'm just trying to go out here and get better and try to improve myself. Whenever you play well, you always feel good. Regardless of the situation or the circumstances, it felt good. It was a long week for me. It just shows that if you just stay focused, you'll be fine."

Unless #4 retires again tomorrow the Vikings starting job is his. Favre's goal against K.C. was not to fumble the center snap or do something stupid. #4 did feel anxious to get going.

“Today, I came over to meetings in the hotel, sitting in the room, all of a sudden I started having butterflies." Favre said. "I’m like ‘Man, I haven’t felt this in a long time,’ which was probably the oddest thing today.”

OK we will let #4 have a pass on this game but lets see how he performs in Minnesota's next pr-season game at Houston.

Here's a summary of Brett Favre's game from the Minneapolis Star Tribune.





Photos Courtesy: Jeff Wheeler/Minneapolis Star Tribune & Evan Siegle/Green Bay Press Gazette






No comments: