Friday, August 14, 2009

Landon Donovan's New ID Number: H1N1

((HT: LA Times/Grahame Jones))

One day after playing a World Cup qualifier for the United States against Mexico in Mexico City, Galaxy forward Landon Donovan ((pictured, thanks Jed Jacobsohn/Getty)) said Thursday he tested positive for the H1N1 flu virus, or the "swine flu."

"Donovan is believed to have contracted the virus from two Galaxy staff members who came down with it during last weekend's Galaxy game against the New England Revolution in Foxborough, Mass., said Bruce Arena, Galaxy coach and general manager.

"Sunday night when I got into Miami I started feeling a little congestion and just not feeling great, but it wasn't terrible," he said. "I didn't think too much of it. I thought maybe it was just changing climate, the heat and humidity and all that.
"Monday, it got a little bit worse. I was coughing a little.

Tuesday [when the U.S. team traveled to Mexico City] I was coughing a little, and when I woke up Wednesday I felt a little tired, but I just assumed it was the altitude."
Donovan said he had not considered pulling out of the game against Mexico. "I didn't assume there was anything really that wrong," he said."

Donovan bonked in the 2-1 loss to Mexico. He felt crappy afterwards, took his temperature, and registered a rockin' 100.7. Doctors did their standard poking and prodding and came up with a swine flu diagnosis.

The first 48 hours of the flu is its contagious stage. LA Galaxy coach and GM Bruce Arena is of the thought that Donovan has passed that point and is not contagious to others. The next game for the Galaxy is Saturday against Seattle.

No one knows if Donovan will play, but it's not looking likely.
Ya think...???

No comments: