Thursday, April 21, 2011

Al From Dadeville Speaks To Pawwwllll... Updyke Talks To Finebaum...

((HT: WIAT-TV Birmingham/Paul Finebaum Radio Network))

Harvey Updyke was a guest on the Paul Finebaum Radio Network Thursday afternoon. Mr. Updyke wanted to talk about the alleged attack at the Opelika, Alabama gas station Wednesday. His attorney, Glennon Threatt, was also present for most of the phone call. Finebaum, through his Twitter account earlier in the day, said the show was looking to have him in studio...

But...

I personally couldn't guarantee Updyke's safety to our studio based on the number of threats he's been getting.

Jason Paul at Bleacher Report, presumably now with numb hands from all the transcription, has the greatest hits...


But here's Updyke's own recap...

"All you conspiracy theories: I stopped at the first station that sold drinks. I wasn't getting gas. I was not at the gas pump. I stopped to get a bottle of green tea. It was a busy place. I was talking on my telephone to Wayne Barnes, telling him what went on at the trial. I parked at the end. I've been back since. When a police officer came later, he parked at the same place i parked. I wasn't around back of the station or back by the bathroom. I was at the side of it. I pulled up and sat in the car for 30 to 45 minutes, was getting out of the car, turned around, and something hit me in the face. I'm not saying it's an Auburn fan. I've had numerous Alabama fans upset as the Auburn fans. The Tide for Toomer's people. I am not accusing anybody. The only thing I'm saying is you can look at my face and tell that I or somebody hit me. Both of my eyebrows are bruised. There's a straight line going from one to the other. I have a gash between my eyes, they said it may need a stitch or two. I have the band they put on your arm at the emergency room. I went in to the ER -- and another thing I'd like to say: I did go in the service station and ask them where the closest emergency room. I didn't go in there in pain or bleeding."

Updyke then says his rent has tripled on a fixed income, and he apologized up and down to everyone about what he did. He knows he's going to prison...

And, of course, he ends the phone call with "Roll Damn Tide".

Updyke said that: 'I don't want this to be my legacy. I don't want to be known as the TREE POISONER.'

The HQ thinks that's a little late in the game...

The interview can be heard in full hyah...

Coverage from WTVM-TV in Columbus is hyah...

More when we know more...

No comments: