Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Hanley And Hustle Mutually Exclusive...

Last night, Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez committed an error in the second inning as Tony Abreu's bloop dropped in left field. Ramirez ended up kicking the ball toward the left-field corner and took his time picking it up- allowing two runners to score.

Ramirez was replaced by Brian Barden the next inning. After the game, manager Fredi Gonzalez confirmed that Ramirez was pulled for not hustling.

"Hanley left the game because we felt -- he got smoked in the ankle -- but we felt whether he was hurt or not hurt or whatever it was, we felt that the effort wasn't there that we wanted," Gonzalez said. "There's 24 guys out there that are busting their butts. Cody Ross got hit with a ball 95 mph and it wasn't hit or thrown any slower and he stayed in the game making diving plays and battling, got two hits and an RBI.

"There are some injuries there, but we expect an effort from 25 guys on this team and when that doesn't happen, we have got to do something,"
he added.

Karl Ravech and John Kruk analyze, thanks to our friends at ESPN...


"It's his team. He can do whatever he [expletive] wants," Ramirez told reporters Tuesday.

Ramirez is not in the lineup for Tuesday's game against Arizona, and he didn't see the need to apologize to the team.

"We got a lot of people dogging it after ground balls. They don't apologize," Ramirez told reporters, according to the Palm Beach Post.

PM UPDATE: Joe Capozzi from the Palm Beach Post was in a gaggle this morning talking to Ramirez... he's still defiant...

Do you respect Fredi?
“I respect everybody. But I don’t know if I get the same respect back.”

Does it hurt you to hear some of the things he said?
“I haven’t heard anything but I got a couple of phone calls they told me. It’s fine. I don’t want to hear what he says … Hopefully, I keep talking to my kids. They don’t keep me down. I’ll forget this and go forward.”


Sure you will...

No comments: