Wednesday, June 2, 2010

DEVELOPING STORY: Griffey Junior Retires With 630 Homeruns

((HT: KING-TV Seattle))

Ken Griffey, Junior told the Seattle Mariners that he was done playing professional baseball, and manager Don Wakamatsu made the announcement before Seattle faced Minnesota.

"While I feel I am still able to make a contribution on the field and nobody in the Mariners front office has asked me to retire, I told the Mariners when I met with them prior to the 2009 season and was invited back that I will never allow myself to become a distraction," Griffey said in a statement.

"I feel that without enough occasional starts to be sharper coming off the bench, my continued presence as a player would be an unfair distraction to my teammates and their success as a team is what the ultimate goal should be," he said.

Known, probably, more for either falling asleep during a game and missing a pinch-hitting opportunity ((or not)), The Kid was hitting only .184 with no homers and 7 RBI this season. He retires with 630 homeruns and a lot of people thinking what could have been if he had been healthy for even a fraction of the 714 games he missed while a player.

Here's Wakamatsu reacting to the announcement...


And here's Junior making Ichiro stick to a chair...
((HT: MLB/sporto10101010))

No comments: