Sunday, June 27, 2010

Mike Adamle's Fight

((HT: Chicago Sun-Times/Telander))

Not that we're in to posting downers on Sundays, but the Sun-Times' Rick Telander has a series up and running- part of it is on on Chicago sportscaster/former NFL'er/former WWE "poobah" Mike Adamle and his battle with epilepsy.

The disease brought on, conventional wisdom tells us, from all the hitting he's had to endure in his football career.

The series Telander is doing is on Northwestern teammates from 40 years ago, how football shaped their lives, and how their injuries today shape their lives differently.

From Adamle's lead...

'I was on the air in 1999 when I had my first seizure,'' says Mike Adamle, the Channel 5 sportscaster. I ask him what it felt like. ''One part of my brain was speaking, the other part was having a tidal wave,'' he says. ''There was deja vu. All kinds of flashing, loud ringing in my ears. Dizziness. My short-term memory was gone. There were tears in my eyes, thoughts of being a kid, thoughts of my grandfather. I was in the hospital for three days.''

Absolutely scary stuff... and, by Mike Adamle's admission, he's scared, too...
For his family... and his future...

Here's one of the things Adamle has done to combat what's going on inside his body... competing in the IronMan Triathlon... at the age of 59...
((HT: NBCChicago.com))

View more news videos at: http://www.nbcchicago.com/video.



Keep conquering, Mike...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Prays are with Mike. He's a great Chicago guy!!