Tuesday, June 1, 2010

London Marathon Winner DQ'ed For Short Cut

A 69-year-old man who ran the London Marathon in a record time for his age group has been disqualified for taking a 10-mile shortcut.

Anthony Gaskell finished the April 25 race in 3 hours, 5 minutes, the fastest ever for the over-65 age group.

Gaskell said he dropped out in the middle of the race because of injury and walked to the finish, cutting out part of the course. He said he never claimed to have won the age-group race and didn't check the results on the website.

Paul Bentley's piece in the Daily Mail has a quote from Gaskell: 'I simply walked through a short cut to the end of the course where my belongings were waiting for me. I had no idea that anyone thought I'd won.

'I didn't bother to check the website for the final standings because I knew I had dropped out.'


London Marathon organizers confirmed that Gaskell had been disqualified and 66-year-old Colin Rathbone declared the over-65 winner. Rathbone finished the race 38 seconds behind Gaskell.

Kinda reminds the HQ about this incident in Boston 30 years ago...
((HT: mtb3241))

No comments: