((HT: Sporting News/Spencer))
NASCAR placed Sprint Cup driver Robby Gordon on indefinite probation after an “incident” in the Cup garage.
The alleged incident was between Gordon and Kevin Conway, who competed in seven races for Gordon last year after leaving Gordon's Front Row Motorsports.
Conway acknowledged that he has filed a misdemeanor battery report with Las Vegas Police Department. Conway wouldn't elaborate.
And the HQ thinks we know, maybe-perhaps-possibly, where all this is coming from...
Back in December, Gordon filed suit against Extenze, Conway’s main 2010 sponsor (the one on the hood of his car), for $690,000 allegedly not paid to Robby Gordon Motorsports. Conway recently filed a counter-suit against Gordon in the state of North Carolina for $27,000. Conway's math determines that is the unpaid portion of his contract with RGM for winning the Rookie of the Year Award.
Gordon told SceneDaily.com's Bob Pockrass in an interview that he would pay Conway his rookie money when Extenze paid him the funds he says are owed for sponsorship. Extenze disputes Gordon’s claim, alleging Gordon breached his contract with the company by pulling Conway from the car and driving it himself.
Gordon contends he had prior permission from Conway's sponsor to do that when Conway's car was in danger of falling out of the top 35 in owner points- a crucial element for immediate qualification in all NASCAR races. If you're outside the Top 35, any car needs to qualify on speed and available space... completely dependent on any number of cars close to the maximum number of 43 used for a full Sunday grid.
The HQ thinks this ain't over...
More when we know more...