Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Piniella Set To Retire At Seasons End

Chicago Cubs manager Lou Piniella announced that decision Tuesday before a game against the Houston Astros. He is looking forward to spending more time with his family.

He says announcing his retirement now - just after the All-Star break - gives the team time to find a replacement.

Piniella is in the fourth and final year of his contract with the Cubs, who have struggled this year and have gone 102 years without a World Series title.

He has been a manager for more than 22 years. He led the New York Yankees (1986-88), Cincinnati Reds (1990-92), Seattle Mariners (1993-2002) and Tampa Bay (2003-05) before arriving in Chicago. He won the World Series as a manager with Cincinnati.

Which is what the HQ remembers him for in the first place...
Here's some of Lou's Greatest Hits from Chicago...
((HT: CSNChicago/ClubhouseCancerBilly))


Paul Sullivan, in his Chicago Tribune piece, had some hints from Piniella that this was it a few weeks ago...

"I'm not going anymore," he said. "When I'm done here, I'm going home. I'm going to enjoy my family, enjoy my friends and do things I haven't been able to do for the past 50 years of my life. Im going to enjoy myself a little bit. I bought myself a boat last year. It's sitting over there at the marina. My kids use it, which is good. But yeah, I'm not going anywhere. When I'm finished here, Im going home and that's it."

So, the HQ guesses he's headed for the marina...

No comments: