Sunday, September 5, 2010

Damage Control At North Carolina, Assistant Coach John Blake Resigns

[HT: Raleigh News Observer]

North Carolina associate head coach John Blake resigned Sunday from his position. Blake has been under investigation from the NCAA for improper contact with sports agents.

"While I have enjoyed my tenure at the University of North Carolina, it has become apparent to me over the course of the past few weeks that my presence has become a distraction to my family and to this great University, too." Blake said in a statement released by the University of North Carolina athletic communications office. "Consequently, I have determined that it is in the best interests of my family, the University community at large, and the Football Program for me to step down from my position as associate head football coach effective today, September 5, 2010."

"I know how much John loves the players, coaching and the game of football." North Carolina head coach Butch Davis said through a statement released by the University. "I am grateful for all of his hard work and effort in helping build this program. As difficult as this situation is, I have accepted his resignation."

Those of us at the OSG HQ feel that John Blake had to go but we get the feeling he is falling on the sword to save Butch Davis' job. Blake is a heck of a recruiter and that will be missed. Lets see if any other heads will roll in Chapel Hill.

Photo Courtesy: Robert Willett/Raleigh News Observer

No comments: